"A book, too, can be a star, 'explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,' a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." - from Madeleine L'Engle's Newberry Medal Acceptance Speech

Monday, March 2, 2015

ELA Updates and Assignments

1. Poetry Unit (March - beginning of April): We are now exploring the world through poetry, reading and writing a variety of poems in engaging and creative ways. The students should be writing 2-4 entries a week in their writing notebooks/journals; specific assignments are given in class based on lessons taught. Students will be receiving poetry packets and lists of literary devices that they should learn and apply in their writing. The final project will include 3 original poems + a reading response; it will be due April 17.

2. Blog - students do not have to write their regular blog posts right now since they should focus on writing in their writing notebooks. The only blog post for the 3rd marking period was a reading response due on February 12. The next blog post will be due later this month or early next month; the assignment will be given in class.

3.  I have not updated Jupitergrades in a while and will be doing so this week (as long as no more viruses plague my home); I apologize for any delays. When I update, I will revise any errors and send progress reports. Please be patient as I read emails and grade assessments.

4. Read-a-thon - to raise money for Pennies for Patients, I am initiating a read-a-thon; forms will be distributed this week. Please encourage your students to read as much as they can this month and help them get pledges to raise money for their reading!

5. The ELA state test is on April 14-16. To prepare, students should continue to read at least 2.5 hours a week for independent reading. We will also be reviewing important skills and doing practice in class.

6. As we approach the end of the year, it is important that students stay disciplined with and focused on their work even in the midst of high school acceptance letters and their imminent graduation.  

I look forward to having a positive and inspiring rest of the year with the graduating class of 2015.

Sincerely,

Ms. Galang
denise.galang@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment