Congratulations to the following students who will be published in City College's Poetry Publication called Poetry in Performance!
These poets will read at the annual poetry reading at City College on Friday, May 11!
Jake Lester, "A Sonnet of Meaning"
Joshua Wladman, "A Dream"
Isabel Arriaga, "A Sonnet for Princess"
Zack Polomo, "A Sonnet to the Rain Forest"
Yohance Barton, "My Mom Yells"
All the sonnets chosen:
ReplyDelete(In possible order of greatness)
A Sonnet Of Meaning
By Jake Lester 813
Emotions, emotions, what purpose served?
No practical reason of existence.
A perfect person can now be unnerved.
And oh so very hard for resistance.
In crucial moments cause hesitation.
Causing impossible control of thoughts.
Giving way to annoying sensation.
Relief from this weight is what I have sought.
But alas, it is what makes us human.
For without that I ask, what would we be?
Without the ocean, what would be the sand?
A dessert as far as the eye can see.
There would not be moisture, life just as well.
And what would life be then? It would be hell.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A Dream
By Joshua Wladman 813
A boy of three looks up at me with eyes
of brown and shining blond tresses with curls.
And what he wants is clear to me; here lies
Some gifts which bear his name upon their twirls
And then I see I look like him; the boy
Who looks at me: I see the boy is me
He waves his arms I see, perhaps to toy
With me. Or he yet might just wave with glee.
And so I wave to him as he had done
And now it’s clear that I am not the one
Who stands waving to him like he has won
The game monopoly, of quite good fun.
I wake with sunshine pouring in my room
And sun rays shine without a sense of gloom.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A Sonnet for Princess
By Isabel Arriaga 813
She prowls around the still kingdom at night
Her ears are up, her pounce on the ready
She keeps the world within her watchful sight
Her paws pad soft and slow and ever steady
Head high, streamlined, white whiskers lead the way
Sharp teeth, strong claws, attack or else defend
Way back she roamed the wild, stalking her prey
House-bound she still sizes up a foe or friend
So when it comes time for going to bed
She purrs, meows, scratches at my shut door
When I give in she goes right to my head
Before I’m back she’s off to a loud snore
Of course, you know, I’m so quick to forgive
Sleeping without her now, I could not live.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My sonnet for the rain forest
By Zack Polomo 810
The rain forest is a living being
Tears of the leaves splash on the muddy ground
The native creatures are wise, all seeing
Aware in the home to which they are bound
A savage howl echoes in a dark cave,
Stalactites shake with the loud, intense noise
Sun shines on the plants to which life he gave
The small tree frog’s skin is tinted turquoise
To outsiders, this place is dangerous
In many ways, they are in fact correct
The happenings here are spontaneous
Nothing scientists could try and dissect
Try to look upon it with your own eyes,
And see the wilderness without disguise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MY MOM YELLS
By Yohance Barton 807
My mom yells at me when I kick and play
So I tell my mommy that, "I'm sorry"
But I'm not..... so I continue all day
Why don't you sit down and watch some " murry"?
I say no I would like to have some fun
If you don't sit down you will be groubded
Nahh stop I aint with that type of stuff son
Do not make a sound is what sounded
Mommy I would like to apologize
She was so happy, I was about to cry
So then I smiled, and then I arise
to what a crazy suprise someone died
I thought to myself that isn't funny
then I got a wiff of some sweet hon