Adjective: word that describes or modifies a person, place, and thing (noun or pronoun)
Exercise (underline and label the adv, adj, and inter in the sentences):
1. Shoot, I forgot my homework again.
2. The school lunch is not bad; it is relatively healthy.
3. Those quarters on the ground are his.
4. Yikes! I almost fell down the stairs.
- answers the questions:
- what kind? ex. dark suit, sunny day
- which one? ex. his daughter, that man, my dog
- how many? ex. both people, several books
- the articles a, an, and the are adjectives
- Pronouns can be used as adjectives when they come before a noun.
- Pronoun: I want a slice of that.
- Adjective: I want a slice of that cake.
- Some adjectives end in -ly such as ugly and friendly. Don't mistake these for adverbs.
- Some nouns can be used as adjectives: dog house; dog is an adjective
- More examples (underline adjective): cold room, green folder, adventurous person, scary ghost, free wi-fi
- answers the questions where, when, how, how much?
- many adverbs end with the letters -ly such as slowly, gently, widely, and usually.
- other adverbs do not end with -ly: often, sometimes, fast, tomorrow, very, today
- beware of telling the difference between adverbs and adjectives. Ask yourself what the word is describing.
- adjective: Make a right turn at the stoplight.
- adverb: We turned right onto 7th Street.
- More examples (underline adverbs): too much candy, very delicious dish
Exercise (underline and label the adv, adj, and inter in the sentences):
1. Shoot, I forgot my homework again.
2. The school lunch is not bad; it is relatively healthy.
3. Those quarters on the ground are his.
4. Yikes! I almost fell down the stairs.
No comments:
Post a Comment