- common examples: in, on, under, beside, below, to, at, by, over
- Caroline's ipad is on the table
- Santi's iphone is under the table.
- Chassidy's ipod is beside the table.
- Zack's retainer went into the garbage.
- always found in prepositional phrases; ex. at the mall, under the table, in class
- prepositions can also be used as adverbs. Remember that a preposition must always be in a phrase while an adverb can stand alone.
- Preposition: We waited in line outside the movie theater.
- Adverb: I like to play inside and outside.
1. Coordinating conjunction - used to connect independent clauses (an independent clause can stand alone as a sentence)
- There are 7 coordinating conjunctions: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so (FANBOYS)
- In a sentence, put a comma before the conjunction to combine more than 1 independent clause. Ex. My brother is two years older than me, but I am much more mature.
- Beware: for is a conjunction only if it connects two or more independent clauses.
- conjunction: I got a new coat, for it's cold this winter.
- preposition: I got a new coat for my birthday.
- Some examples of coordinating conjunctions in sentences:
- Ms. Galang and Ms. Buchalter are reading the same book.
- Roy is going to to the park, but I am going to the beach.
- My friends take their bikes to school , but I prefer to walk.
2. Subordinating conjunction - words that make one group of words (dependent clause) dependent upon another group of words (independent clause) to form a complete sentence.
- Examples: because, when, until, after, as, before, if, since, unless, until, whenever, where, while
- The phrase or group of words that begin with the subordinating conjunction is called a subordinating clause; they are also called adverbial clauses because they further describe the verb in the sentence
- The subordinating clause can go in the beginning of the sentence or at the end. Notice there is a comma after the subordinating clause only when it goes in the beginning of the sentence:
- Before class, I went to the water fountain.
- I went to the water fountain before class.
- Because we have physical education today, I brought my gym clothes.
- I brought my gym clothes because we have physical education today.
No comments:
Post a Comment