Sample Introductions: read and annotate features of these introductions
1. from An Appreciation by Anna Quindlen
2. from Sammie Jo Concillo’s essay
There are moments in all of our lives that we’d rather forget; scenes that we wish could be erased in time. We’ve all said or did something we wish we didn’t, or have been a part of something we wish we hadn’t.
My hand was scribbling furiously, and I doubted that my older sister would be able to read my handwriting. But all that mattered were the words I was getting down on the ripped notebook paper—they were words full of hate, but it felt better after I got them down. It felt even better when I placed it under my sister’s door, and heard her sobbing as she read it. And then it didn’t feel so good.
I was seven years old, and very angry at my sister. After hearing her sobs, I—like many other would do—pushed that day out of my head. It didn’t resurface until a few months ago, and while rereading Freak the Mighty, I stopped at this line and thought of my own experience with memory.
"If you want to, you can remember anything, whether it happened or not."Page 2 and 142
3. from Ms. Galang’s essay
Answer these questions in your notebook:
1. What do these samples have in common? How are they unique?
2. In general, what do you think an introduction should do and include?
3. What ideas do you have for revising your introduction?
Sample Conclusions: read and annotate features of these conclusions
1. from An Appreciation by Anna Quindlen
2. from Adeline Yen Mah
3. from Ms. Galang’s essay
Answer these questions in your notebook:
1. What do these samples have in common? How are they unique?
2. In general, what do you think an introduction should do and include?
3. What ideas do you have for revising your conclusion?
Introductions:
Conclusions:
1. from An Appreciation by Anna Quindlen
The most memorable books from our childhoods are those that make us feel less alone, convince us that our own foibles and quirks are both as individual as a fingerprint and as universal as an open hand. That’s why I still have the copy of A Wrinkle in Time that was given to me when I was twelve years old. It long ago lost its dust jacket, the fabric binding is loose and water-stained, and the soft and loopy signature on its inside cover bears little resemblance to the way I sign my name today. The girl who first owned it has grown up and changed, but the book she loved, though battered, is still magical.
2. from Sammie Jo Concillo’s essay
"If you want to, you can remember anything, whether it happened or not."
There are moments in all of our lives that we’d rather forget; scenes that we wish could be erased in time. We’ve all said or did something we wish we didn’t, or have been a part of something we wish we hadn’t.
My hand was scribbling furiously, and I doubted that my older sister would be able to read my handwriting. But all that mattered were the words I was getting down on the ripped notebook paper—they were words full of hate, but it felt better after I got them down. It felt even better when I placed it under my sister’s door, and heard her sobbing as she read it. And then it didn’t feel so good.
I was seven years old, and very angry at my sister. After hearing her sobs, I—like many other would do—pushed that day out of my head. It didn’t resurface until a few months ago, and while rereading Freak the Mighty, I stopped at this line and thought of my own experience with memory.
"If you want to, you can remember anything, whether it happened or not."Page 2 and 142
3. from Ms. Galang’s essay
Reading E.B. White’s Charlotte’s Web as a mother allows me to connect to Charlotte’s character in a deeper way than when I read it as a grade school student. There are many moments between Wilbur and her that remind me of moments I have with my own children.
Answer these questions in your notebook:
1. What do these samples have in common? How are they unique?
2. In general, what do you think an introduction should do and include?
3. What ideas do you have for revising your introduction?
Sample Conclusions: read and annotate features of these conclusions
1. from An Appreciation by Anna Quindlen
On its surface this is a book about three children who fight an evil force threatening their planet. But it is really about a more primal battle all human beings face, to respect, defend, and love themselves. When Meg pulls the ultimate weapon from her emotion arsenal to fight, for her little brother and for good, it is a great moment, not just for her, but for every reader who has ever felt overlooked, confused, alone. It has been more than four decades since I first read A Wrinkle in Time. If I could tesser, perhaps in some different time and place I would find a Meg Murry just my age, a grown woman with an astonishing brain, a good heart, and unique perspective on how our differences are what makes life worth living. Oh, how I would like to meet her.
2. from Adeline Yen Mah
I never forgot A Little Princess. Sara Crewe’s courage and determination accompanied every step of the way from then on, propelling me forever forwards. I told myself if Sara could finally triumph, then so could I. A Little Princess became a permanent anchor in my life - a beacon of hope that has lasted to this day.
3. from Ms. Galang’s essay
This is a good scene to think about when I am putting the children to bed. Wilbur makes me think how natural and innocent it is that my children try to persuade me to let them stay up and that it is more cute than annoying. When they are old enough to put themselves to bed, I will probably miss these long, drawn-out bedtime routines. And when I have the urge to scream or curse my children to sleep, I will imagine Charlotte hanging in a corner, shaking one of her legs at me. Instead, I will gently insist, give a few kisses and “good nights” until they finally fall into peaceful slumber, using my tired hands to tuck them into the blanket of childhood.
Answer these questions in your notebook:
1. What do these samples have in common? How are they unique?
2. In general, what do you think an introduction should do and include?
3. What ideas do you have for revising your conclusion?
Introductions:
- engage the readers, give them a reason to want to read more
- state or imply main idea
- establishes focus
- use strong and effective words
Conclusions:
- don’t be obvious and overly simple; don’t write “in conclusion”
- don’t just restate main idea word for word
- connect previous ideas/details to self and the world
- show writer’s visions, realizations, lessons, hopes, or suggestions to the reader that were inspired by writing the essay
- the conclusion, like the end of a book, shows how the writer has been changed by the journey of the essay
- be subtle; use complexity, ambiguity, and/or symbolism
- stick to the focus
- use strong and effective words
No comments:
Post a Comment