"A book, too, can be a star, 'explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,' a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." - from Madeleine L'Engle's Newberry Medal Acceptance Speech

Monday, December 2, 2019

Reading and Writing About Social Issues

Here are 3 TED talks that reflect important social issues. Get some inspiration for your own social action writing. For each of these, write down 1 row of annotations in your notebook. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAj1hsXp18c (Suheir Hammad reading of a poem on war)
I will not dance to your war drum.
I will not lend my soul nor my bones to your war drum.
I will not dance to that beating.
I know that beat.
It is lifeless.
I know intimately that skin you are hitting.
It was alive once, hunted, stolen, stretched.
I will not dance to your drummed up war.
I will not pop, spin, break for you.
I will not hate for you or even hate you.
I will not kill for you.
Especially I will not die for you.
I will not mourn the dead with murder nor suicide.
I will not side with you or dance to bombs because everyone is dancing.
Everyone can be wrong.
Life is a right, not collateral or casual.
I will not forget where I come from.
I will craft my own drum.
Gather my beloved near, and our chanting will be dancing.
Our humming will be drumming.
I will not be played.
I will not lend my name nor my rhythm to your beat.
I will dance and resist and dance and persist and dance.
This heartbeat is louder than death.

Your war drum ain't louder than this breath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8GCjrDWWUM (two teens in Indonesia campaign for a plastic ban)

Reflection and Application:
1) What have you learned from these examples that you can apply to your creative writing assignment?
2) Work on revising your writing. Which parts require more details and elaboration? What details can you add? To help you, list or web in your notebook to help you develop ideas.
3) Use your rubric to help you finish revising your work. Add the final draft to the Google Classroom assignment and publish on your blog. Complete the self-assessment on the rubric. This is due Tuesday, Dec 3.


Optional:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLOagmZTWmM (a 15-year old shares her experience on mental illness)


No comments:

Post a Comment