"A book, too, can be a star, 'explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,' a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." - from Madeleine L'Engle's Newberry Medal Acceptance Speech

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Picture Book Planning

Picture Book Planning: Now that we have read a variety of picture book mentor texts and have begun brainstorming ideas, it is time to choose a more specific focus.

  1. Overview - complete this page and bring to class on: Monday January 12.                                                              

Intended audience (check off one):
  • Grades K-1
  • Grades 2-3
  • Grades 4-5

General topic (social issue, real-life experience, historical or current event, or person who makes a difference) I want to write about:



Main message I want my readers to understand:



The purpose of my book is to:
  • bear witness (focus on suffering and tragedy)

  • envision possibility (show readers that there is hope and that the problem can be improved)

  • call to action (urge readers to act to improve a problem)

The type of story I want to write is:
  • Allegory like Terrible Things by Eve Bunting or fantasy like The Lorax by Dr. Seuss
  • Realistic or historical fiction like Freedom Summer by Deborah Wiles
  • Non-fiction like The Librarian of Basra by Jeanette Winter or And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson
  • Poetry like Life Doesn’t Frighten Me by Maya Angelou or The Wreath of Emmett Till by Marilyn Nelson

My mentor text(s) I will use to help me write my picture book (choose one of the texts listed above + you may choose another text if you want to):


General ideas:

Character
Setting
Plot
Craft
Illustrations














II. Research: collect 2-3 sources to help you better understand your topic and include in your author’s note, and/or  to plan your illustrations. At least 1 source must be a nonfiction book, article, essay, interview, etc. Read and annotate your definite, relevant sources; research due: Friday January 16.

  1. What do I know about my focus? Why do I want to write about it?



  1. What outside texts or experiences relate to my focus and inspire me to write this book?



  1. What do I want to know and research to better understand this?



  1. Where and how will I obtain relevant sources?



  1. What questions and uncertainties do I have regarding writing my picture book?



  1. What are the steps I need to take between now and creating the first draft of my book?




III. Plan and Draft:
Plan and develop your story. Refer to your mentor text. Here are some ways to plan:
  • Create a mountain of action or storyboard to show the plot.
  • Create a character map of the main characters. Consider conflict, personality, identity, inner and external characteristics, strengths and weaknesses, and relationships with others.
  • Draw or map out the setting. What are the most important features of the setting that contribute to readers’ understanding of plot, characters, conflict, etc.
  • Make a synthesis page.
Plan Due:
1st draft of story due (must be typed): 810 - Wed 1/21; 811 - Fri 1/23; 812 - Thur 1/22.

No comments:

Post a Comment