"A book, too, can be a star, 'explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,' a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." - from Madeleine L'Engle's Newberry Medal Acceptance Speech

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

"I Have a Dream"

Name: ________________________  Class: ________  Date: ___________________


Civil Rights and Martin Luther King, Jr.


I. Civil Rights
1. What are civil rights? What civil rights do you have? What civil rights still need to be fought for?




2. What have you learned about the Civil Rights Movement based on the film, "Selma", and other texts you have read?




II. Martin Luther King, Jr.
1. Read the speech to yourself. Highlight or underline the most inspiring, thought-provoking lines. In the margin, write why you chose it and what it makes you think, feel, and know.
http://www.archives.gov/press/exhibits/dream-speech.pdf

2. Watch speech. What stands out to you now?



3. Write a found poem based on the speech (a poem that consists of words, phrases, and/or sentences from another text(s)). In constructing your poem, consider:
  • Who do I want the narrator/speaker to be?
  • What do I want to focus on, what feeling, conflict, event, character, etc.?
  • What are the best details I want to use?
  • How will I use line breaks and stanzas intentionally and effectively?
  • How will I begin my poem? How will I end it?
  • Draft in your notebook first.
  • Complete a final draft on a separate sheet of paper to be handed in. Optional: illustrate it.

Sample Found Poem based on "Freedom Summer" by Deborah Wiles

John Henry

My skin
the color of browned butter
unlike Joe - his skin
is the color of pale moths.

My skin
is not allowed
in Mr. Mason's store,
lunch counters,
picture shows,
drinking fountains.

My skin wants
to swim in the town pool.
Instead, I must swim
through tar.

But I want
to do everything Joe can do,
so we go back to the General Store
walk in to buy ice pops
together.

2 comments:

  1. 812 Notes

    1. civil rights that you have:
    - school/education through high school
    - freedom of speech,
    - fair trial, innocent until proven guilty
    - press: writing, blog, online
    - self-defense, bear arms
    - same sex marriage;
    - assembly

    2. Civil Rights Movement:
    - it was a frightening time, very dangerous, unfair
    - four little girls were killed in a church in Alabama
    - while blacks had the legal right to vote, regional/local districts denied them
    - many politicians were corrupt and racist; they were also afraid of distrustful of blacks
    - police had a lot of powerful; they got away with killing innocent people
    - history seems to repeat itself;
    - to protest was very dangerous, required risks; many people were hurt and killed;
    - people should be able to stand up for other people's rights
    - MLK Jr's way of nonviolence was effective, perhaps better than other leaders?

    ReplyDelete
  2. - hundreds of thousands of people supported and participated in the CRM
    - protests were violent and scary; government didn't do much to help until later; government fueled the violence;
    - many people were calling and threatening MLK Jr; ; many people doubted him
    MLKJr was peaceful and nonviolent; it's very hard not to fight back; this is an effective way - makes govt look bad; greater power
    - white supporters were also in danger
    - four little girls were killed in a church in Alabama

    ReplyDelete