|
Excerpt
|
Literary Device
|
|
“America” Claude McKay
“Although she feeds me bread of bitterness”
|
1. she refers to ___________________ so this is an example of:
2. bread of bitterness is an example of:
|
|
“The Starry Night” Anne Sexton
“Oh, starry starry night! This is how / I want to die”
|
1. when speaking to a non-human thing or someone who is not there:
2. Type of line break:
|
|
“Life Doesn’t Frighten Me” Maya Angelou
“Mean old Mother Goose”
“Ars Poetica” by Claribel Alegria
“I … would never change places / with the Venus de Milo; / while she reigns in the Louvre”
“Monster” Eminem
“the Bruce Lee of loose
leaf”
|
|
|
“America” Claude McKay
“I love this cultured hell that tests my youth”
|
|
|
“please don’t take my air jordans” reg e. gaines
“while laying there dyin’ all he could say was / please don’t take my
air jordans away…”
|
This is an example of _______________ ___ because what the man says
who is being robbed and shot isn’t what the reader would expect.
|
|
“Incident” Countee Cullen
“Of all the things that happened there / That’s all that I remember.”
“Grenade” Bruno Mars
I'd catch a grenade for you
Throw my hand on a blade for you
I'd jump in front of a train for you
You know I'd do anything for you
|
These are examples of _________________ because the speakers are
exaggerating their feelings.
|
Ms. Galang's 8th Grade English students create an on-line community of readers and writers.
"A book, too, can be a star, 'explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,' a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." - from Madeleine L'Engle's Newberry Medal Acceptance Speech
Thursday, February 6, 2014
Review for Literary Devices
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment