"A book, too, can be a star, 'explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,' a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." - from Madeleine L'Engle's Newberry Medal Acceptance Speech

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Review for quiz on homophones, spelling, roots, prefixes, and suffixes

Name: ___________________________ Class: ______ Review for Quiz on Spelling, Prefixes, Suffixes, and Roots
Part 1: Homophones – Circle the correct word.
Teacher: You need to cite/sight/site your sources in a bibliography.
Bill: I forget which cite/sight/site I got it from, but I remember the cite/sight/site of it.
Teacher: I accept/except this excuse accept/except you need the sources to get a good grade.
Bill: I hope this does not effect/affect my grade. What is the affect/effect of my quarter social studies grade of not having the bibliography?
Teacher: I will right/write/rite a rubric. But I am right/write/rite that this will bring your grade down.
Bill: But if I get a bad grade, I will not get the right/write/rite of passage to Egypt in the annual school trip.
Teacher: Your essay is idle/idol/idyll without a bibliography.
Bill: If you give me a good grade, you will be my idle/idol/idyll. I have an idea, what if I write an idle/idol/idyll about the topic, would that make up for me not having a bibliography?
Teacher: No.
Bill: What if I do it on nice stationery/stationary?
Teacher: My position is stationery/stationary. I have principal/principle about my grading system.
Bill: Your principals/principles are allusions/illusions, figments of your imagination.
Teacher: What? That makes no sense. If you don’t stop asking, I will send you to the principal/principle.
Bill: Ever since that day, you’ve been mean to me.
Teacher: You’re making an allusion/illusion to an old event; don’t bring that up now. Go to the principal/principle ‘s office
Part 2. Prefixes, suffixes, and roots
Educate:
1. What is the root? What does the root mean?
2. What is the part of speech of educate?
3. Make it into a noun by adding a suffix: ____________________________
4. Make it into an adverb by adding a suffix: ____________________________
5. Make a new word by adding a prefix: ____________________________
Democracy:
1. What is the root?
2. Part of speech?
3. Make it into an adjective: ____________________________
4. Make it into an adverb: ____________________________
5. Make a new word by adding a prefix: ____________________________
Part 3. Spelling Rules
Word
Part of Speech
Word
Part of speech
1. rhythm
8.occurrence
2.psychology
9. entering
3.receive
10. foreword
4. mischief
11. illegal
5. silliness
12. necessarily
6. conveyed
13.protein
7. amusing
14. noticeable

No comments:

Post a Comment