Writers do research to be more informed of the topics they write about and to help them develop their stories. For your topic, list questions and ideas you would like to know about your topic. Then find at least 2 sources that are relevant to your topic. Print out, read, and annotate your sources and complete Picture Book Research worksheet.
My example:
Topic: Discrimination and prejudice based on ethnic and cultural differences
Story idea: a cousin moves to girl's house from the Philippines; girl doesn't like her at first then learns to accept her
What I want to know about my topic and what I need to research:
-What difficulties do immigrant children in America face?
-How are new immigrants in America perceived and why?
-How many Filipino immigrants in the US and/or NY?
-Why do immigrants come to the US?
My Research:
1. Went to Proquest and signed in using password on my blog. I used the following keywords: Filipino immigration in the US. By reading the abstracts, I chose a couple of articles that seem relevant and interesting:
a) Speak my language. Miller, Berna. American Demographics
19. 4
(Apr 1997): 31.
b) Between Two Worlds BORN IN THE U.S.A. TO ASIAN PARENTS, A GENERATION OF IMMIGRANTS' KIDS FORGES A NEW IDENTITY. Chu, Jeff; Nadia MustafaAmanda Bower/San Francisco; Kristin Kloberdanz/Chicago. Time International*This article I found by going on Google and copying the entire title. I was able to find the full text.
2. Since these sources are not that recent, I wanted to find more recent statistics and primary sources that show the immigrant experience of Filipinos.
I did a Google search and found:
a) a good source for recent statistics
b) an informative site from an educational institution in Hawaii about the history of Filipino immigration to the USA.
No comments:
Post a Comment