"A book, too, can be a star, 'explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,' a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." - from Madeleine L'Engle's Newberry Medal Acceptance Speech

Monday, November 19, 2018

Creative Response to Social Issues


Writers get inspired by the real world. Newspapers and magazines are great sources for writing of all genres. Choose 1 or more feature articles from any Upfront and write a creative response to communicate your thoughts and feelings.

I. Brainstorm: How do these articles make you think about social issues in the world? What do they make you think, feel, know, and wonder? Include the issue, evidence from the text (at least 2), your interpretation and thoughts. Choose any format to brainstorm: chart, list, web, paragraphs.

II. Ideas for writing a poem:

1. Write a free verse poem or choose a different structure such as song lyrics or a sonnet.
Here is a poem by a student published in the following article:
http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/10/16-girls-on-donald-trumps-allegations-of-sexual-assault.html


Tess Lovell, Eighth Grade
I have something to say.
I am not wooed by sexual harassment.
I am sorry that you cannot control yourself if a pretty girl walks in the room.
I do not think it is okay to grab a woman regardless of what she thinks.
If you touch me without consent,
It is sexual harassment.
I think it is absurd that you are teaching girls
That they can excuse a grope,
A touch,
A kiss,
That they did not agree to.
Do you know what it’s called to force someone to have intercourse with you?
Rape.
And now it doesn’t seem like “locker room” talk,
Does it?
No, do not touch me.
No, I do not want to give you a hug.
No, I do not care if you are a “star.”
I AM NOT AN OBJECT.
Keep your hands away from me,
Because I am entitled to my own body.
I refuse to let you romanticize rape.
I have a voice, and you are drying it up.
I feel it fall away with every objectifying word you say.
I AM NOT YOUR PROPERTY.
Let me have privacy.
Let me have security.
Let me have me.
I am more than my legs.
I am more than my cup size.
Listen to what I have to say, because I have a voice.
Let me own MYSELF.
I am a HUMAN.
TREAT ME LIKE A HUMAN.

2. Write a found or collage poem. Use at least 30 words and/or phrases and organize them in an intentional way.

Other guidelines:
  • rhyme with reason (poems do not have to rhyme, though it can be an effective writing technique; use it thoughtfully and intentionally)
  • organize your poem intentionally; have a beginning, middle, and end
  • have a theme or message that is implied
Ms. Galang's Found Poem based on "Should Police Wear Body Cameras?" by Veronica Majerol

Tell the Truth

Michael Brown shot
in Ferguson. Unrest.
Darren Wilson says
it was self-defense.
Others say murder.
Grand jury decided
it was not a crime.

But what really happened
that night?

What really happened 
with Eric Garner in New York
Walter Scott in North Charleston
Freddy Gray in Baltimore?

The community is grappling 
with the world
with the police.

The community wants to know
what the police are doing.

Body cameras are a good way to show that.



III. Other ways to write a creative response:
- write an op-ed (opinion essay)
- write a persuasive letter

No comments:

Post a Comment